Saturday, June 12, 2010

I made it to Rio - Saturday, July 12

I traveled this morning to Rio de Janerio. After being in the busy city of Sao Paulo, the beaches of Rio were welcoming. Rio is Northeast of Sao Paulo and about a 45 minute flight.

I am staying in an area called Leblon which is after Copacabana and Ipanema Beaches. It is beautiful with a long beach front. Copocabana and Ipanema Beaches are separated by the breakwater of the lagoon feeding into the beach.

I was delight that another fellow, Flavia picked me up at the hotel upon my arrive. We took a tour of the area, had a lovely lunch at an outdoor cafe (there are many) and then toured the Botannical Garden. I walked around this afternoon. The area has a neighborhood feel with a mix of stores, shops, restaurants and newstands. I mention the newstands because they all have tv's with large groups of people gathered (those who are not at restaurants) to watch the games. Argentina (rival) played Nigeria this afternoon and then US vs England. Copacabana Beach has huge jumbotron tv's set up on the beach to watch the games!

I am heading out to meet Flavia who graciously invited me to a dinner party with friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment